The thing about Mika Schiller’s idiotic and misogynist post, which is spreading across the Tumblrs tonight, is that for as long as there is an internet it will remain there to be easily and freely accessed by any potential employer, any potential client, or any woman who would inexplicably consider dating him, God forbid.
Let him be a cautionary tale, you kids who have been raised to have no filter on your online shenanigans.
One thing I’ve learned in this whole employment hunting process is how much employers today rely on a candidate’s social media and internet presence for the weeding out process. I know if I were a manager going through endless resumes, I’d certainly see what these people are really about. I’d be able to get rid of half of them with a single scroll.
Putting something like this out there with his name attached to it is an extremely stupid move and it does much more than expose and document how badly he thinks of women and how shitty his parents were. It shows anyone and everyone just how extremely poor his judgment is, which, oddly enough, employers, clients, and girlfriends consider important. From this point on, his resume might as well be in Comic Sans. It would take a much bigger douche-bag than he to even want to talk to him, regardless of “tech entrepreneurial” skills.
Then, again, he did invent electricity, so there’s that.
1) Watch your weight and appearance very carefully because we have a very simple and uncontrollably powerful algorithm in our brains that renders us less likely to commit to you with each additional pound of weight you gain. Once you’re over a BMI of about 22, the vast majority of guys who act interested just want to sleep with you and leave. Beyond about 24, most of them want nothing to do with you. It isn’t fair, but knowing this could save you a ton of heartache.
2) Yes, we secretly think we’re better, smarter, more creative, and more noble-minded than you, regardless of what TV, movies and magazines portray these days. It’s this inborn egotism that’s compelled us to build cities, invent electricity and send satellites to the edges of the solar system. We just never talk about it because we need you and don’t want to piss you off.
3) The number of men you’ve slept with tremendously influences our perception of your quality and potential as a long term partner. Be aware that the average guy will use this fact as a barometer for whether you are commitment material or short-term material. An ugly truth it is, but a double standard it’s not for the simple fact that it takes skill for us to get you, but not the other way around. Therefore it comes off as gluttonous behavior in a girl and furthermore, puts us in danger of raising kids that aren’t our own.
4) We don’t really care about your degrees or career ambitions, so save your breath. We’ll only acknowledge those things if we like the way you look, and even then, the most attention our brains will devote to them is an “Oh, you went to Yale? That’s nice.” We just care that you have a baseline level of common sense so that you don’t make our lives miserable and our kids dumb.
5) For the most part, we find you boring. You’ll never be able to discuss sports, politics, science, technology, or current affairs the way our male friends do and you’ll never be as funny as them. The only reason we talk to you is because we like the way you look and we can’t live without you.